WPM


Albert's PistenBully 100 Park (1:12)

Last change: Oct. 15th, 2018

As a little brother for my PB400 ParkPro 4F I'm now building the newly introduced PB100 Park. The challenge is that body, chassis and auxilliaries are practically all completely new designs. And furthermore the smallness of the snow cat brings additional challenges in utilizing the limited space.

The original is also a completely new design and features all the high-tech parts of it's larger brothers, like the 4F exhaust gas aftertreatment and the new operating concept in the cockpit.

The company Kässbohrer kindly gave me access 3D data as an excellent base for creating a true scale model. By the way I have a license agreement with Kässbohrer since 2007.

Brief overview of the planned implementation:
- Chassis + tracks with modified Pistenking parts
- Body as 3D printed parts
- Snow blade: bent metal sheet parts
- Tiller: will be a challenge
- Hydraulics for all functions


PB100 Park (original) at the Kässbohrer location in Grand Junction, Colorado

First drafts of the chassis with the JC model for motivation

The first step is always to design the chassis as a base for the snow cat. Here I'm relying as much as possible on parts by Pistenking. Not only because it makes it easier, but also as they actually correspond to the original. For example the track tensioning mechanism by Pistenking is the same as at the original.

 

 

But I cannot use the flex shaft drive because the bending radiues would be much to tight.

Instead, I'm making a gear set with bevel gears and spur gears, on the left you can see this in the CAD model. The gear box housing will be printed and supported by laser cut metal parts.

 


Here I positioned the hydraulics components (green blocks) in the chassis for checking if they really fit. At the front is the pump, in the middle a 6-valve block (which I have available since the conversion of my PB400 ParkPro), and at the back a single valve.

End of September 2018 I could inspect a PB100 Park at the Kässbohrer office for the Rocky Mountains. I made almost 400 detail photos. A big thank you to the great folks there, who put the PB100 in the center of the lot for me.


PB100 Park (original)


Checking out the PB100 Park :-)

Meanwhile I'm working on the body parts in CAD. I can't show any screenshots though because I have signed a non disclosure agreement with Kässbohrer.

The first parts arrived: printed parts for the sprocket gear box (front black), the sprockets, the master form the wheels, the frame for the backpack, one air intake and small parts. I have the impression that the surface quality of the nylon lasersintered parts by Shapeways is now even better than before.

The first 3D-printed parts have arrived!


Air intakes printed with different materials

For testing purposes I ordered the left air intake out of two different materials to decide which one is better suited for the remaining body parts.
Left in gray is a new methode where the nylon powder is bonded wiht resin. Left in white is the well known laser sinter printing wiht nylon powder.

I cannot determine any real stability differences, but the classic and cheaper methode gives more definition and sharper edges.

 


Next delivery arrived: laser cut parts for the chassis and platform, gears, hydraulic pump

   
   

Back to Overview of Models